Privacy & Technology Resources
The Wilton Public Schools District is committed to providing high-quality, instructional online resources for our students and technology that facilitates teaching and productivity for our faculty and staff. In this effort, we have made data privacy an important criteria for our selection and procurement of online resources.
The District complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which has a goal of protecting a student’s educational records. For more details on FERPA, please visit the U.S. Department of Education’s FERPA webpage. Although FERPA regulations apply only to students, Wilton Public Schools is equally committed to protecting the privacy of all data.
Student Data Privacy PA16-189
The State of Connecticut enacted Privacy Law PA16-189 An Act Concerning Student Data Privacy which will fully go into effect on June 30, 2018. However, in the meantime, Wilton Public Schools has taken proactive measures to comply with the law. The District is currently in the process of working with publishers/vendors whose products are used by the district, that fall under the privacy legislation to obtain contract modifications to ensure the suppliers are compliant with the law. As part of the transparency of this process, we are providing the following spreadsheet which includes resources that are used in our schools for instruction and productivity. As contracts are reviewed, renewed or added, we will update this list per the requirements of Connecticut's Student Privacy Law PA16-189.
Process and Decision Criteria based on Student Data Privacy Concerns
In order to provide a consistency and transparency regarding evaluation and approval of resources that elevate student learning while protecting data and security, Wilton Public Schools is committed to adhering to a standard process.
- What is the Process?
- How Is the Process Communicated to Stakeholders?
- Governing Documents and Facts about Data Privacy
Any staff member may request a review of a new resource or permission to use a resource currently owned, subscribed to, or free. All resources, paid and free, must be approved by the Office of Instructional Technology and Digital Learning prior to full use.
Start with the Wilton Public Schools Approved List of Resources. Review existing list of approved or requested resources. The list will provide the status, date of review, type of resource, terms of service and, if available, signed contract. List in spreadsheet form can be found here: https://goo.gl/JMo9HD
- If it is not on the list, discuss with your Library Learning Commons team (Library Media Specialists and Technology Instructional Leader), in case there may be an alternative already approved.
- If the resource is unique and an alternative not available, complete the App Request Form.
- A LabTech Order Ticket will also be created and you will be able to track the progress of the approval status. Remember that depending on the extent of the negotiations with vendor or funding implications, the resource may be in the approval queue for 30 days or longer. Please be patient.
- Beyond questions of duplication, funding and curriculum alignment, the following criteria will be used to make the final decision. Decision Criteria for Digital Tools & Resources
- If you have questions or would like to discuss directly, please contact the Director of Digital Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Digital Learning website will serve as the repository of the information regarding the Approved List of Resources, Status of Pending Requests, and additional presentations to inform teachers and parents. Any additions or new decisions to the Approved List will be communicated once a month via a Ready-Access -Digital Learning Connections, a regular newsletter issued by the Office of Instructional Technology and Digital Learning.
In addition, the topics of student privacy and digital resources will be part of Professional Learning for teachers.
Links to Governing Documents:
Important Links & Documents
- Approved Digital Resources
- App Request Form (For Teachers)
- Decision Criteria Rubric for Approval of New Apps/Resources
- Public Act 16-189 An Act Concerning Data Privacy
- Wilton Public Schools Student Technology Responsible Agreement
- A Parent's Guide to Student Privacy from The Education Privacy Center
- An Educator's Guide to Student Privacy