Volunteer in a Wilton School
Beginning September 2018, all school volunteers will be classified into two groups: adults who spend time with students while in the presence of Wilton Public Schools staff and adults who spend time with students while not in the presence of Wilton Public Schools staff. More specifics about these two groups are outlined below.
Group One Volunteers:
- assist in the classroom, cafeteria, or any other location in school buildings where other Wilton Public Schools staff members are present; or
- attend a school function during the day or outside of school hours when other Wilton Public Schools staff members are present.
Group Two Volunteers:
- assist in the classroom, library learning commons, cafeteria, or any other location in school buildings where other Wilton Public Schools staff members are NOT present at any point during the volunteer’s visit; or
- accompany students on a field trip during or outside of the school day; or
- accompany students on an overnight field trip; or
- serve as student interns.
Beginning September 2018 and every other year thereafter, anyone who would like to be a group two volunteer will be required to submit to a background check through the Secure Volunteer portal of the Background Investigation Bureau. This confidential screening will be conducted after an interested volunteer submits his or her consent to this check, which includes searches of: county court databases, criminal record databases, security watch lists, and sex offender registries covering all 50 states.
As the school year begins and you plan your involvement in your child’s classroom, it is important to remember our new protocols. If you commit to a responsibility that falls under the group two volunteer category (i.e. chaperoning, volunteering to work with students without Wilton Public Schools staff members present), you must submit to a background check. The approval process typically takes two business days; however, you should plan to be screened several weeks in advance of your scheduled volunteer commitment.