Our middle school is designed to meet the needs of young adolescents who are making the transition from childhood to adulthood. We are dedicated to developing an interdisciplinary educational program focusing on the special needs and interests of the early adolescent. It is our belief that a three year teamed program provides the atmosphere for fostering growth, self-discipline and direction. Our educational process also emphasizes experiences that encourage independent learning, motivation, and the continual development of basic educational skills while applying them to new areas of study. Students are involved in a program of diversified academic and creative experiences. Our program provides an atmosphere that is intellectually challenging and recognizes the students' physical, emotional, social, and academic needs. These needs focus on the fact that the development of the early adolescent occurs in stages. It is our firm belief that our middle school philosophy can best be implemented through cooperative decision-making of all school personnel, parents, and the community.
Middlebrook school provides an environment to enable the student to develop:
- Develop the competencies set forth in the common core of learning.
- Develop skills in communication, computation, critical thinking, reasoning, and problem solving.
- Approach learning with enthusiasm, creativity, commitment, and critical judgment.
- Develop skills to become a self-directed lifetime learner.
- Develop aesthetic appreciation through the fine and performing arts.
- Develop an appreciation for an increased facility in the life skills through the practical arts.
- Use technology to enhance learning.
Emotionally and Physically
- Understand themselves and develop a healthy self-esteem.
- Learn to make decisions and be responsible for their actions.
- Contribute to the development of an individual's maximal physical potential as it relates to social, emotional, and intellectual outcomes.
- Establish and maintain a high quality lifestyle through worthy use of leisure time.
- Aid students to make effective choices related to their physical fitness and well-being now and in the future.
Socially and Ethically
- Work cooperatively, and in doing so, learn to respect others as well as themselves.
- Develop individual honesty and integrity.
- Develop a respect for the rights, beliefs, opinions, and property of others.
- Approach all issues with an open mind and a positive attitude.
- Develop an appreciation for the earth and a commitment to its preservation.
- Participate in co-curricular and special interest activities.
- Develop a sense of community and school pride
- Develop values and standards conducive to good citizenship.